Reserving HIRTA rides
Contact our Central Office at 1-877-686-0029 to make your trip reservation
- For the fastest service when scheduling your trip, call between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Before ending the call, listen carefully to all dates, times and addresses as they are read back to you. Make sure the information is correct, and please ask if you're not sure about something.
- By reserving trips two or more days in advance, you will have the best chance of scheduling a ride at your preferred time.
- The demand for weekday HIRTA service peaks from 7 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 5 p.m. You will generally have the best selection of pick-up times if you request a trip outside these "peak" hours.
- You may reserve a ride up to thirty days in advance of your trip.
- Rides for the next day must be reserved no later than:
§ 4 p.m. the day before in Jasper County
§ 3 p.m. the day before in Marion County
§ 5 p.m. the day before in Story County
Have the following information ready before you call (in this order)
- Your last name, then first name
- Day and date of the ride
- Pick-up address and phone number
- Destination address and phone number, including building name and any specific drop-off and pick-up information (for medical appointments, include the name of the doctor and suite number)
- Your preferred pick-up time
- Your appointment time, if needed
- Any additional information about your trip such as:
- if you will use a wheelchair, scooter, other mobility aid, or need to board using the bus lift
- if a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) or other companion(s) will travel with you
Setting your trip times
HIRTA can plan your trip around either a pick-up time or an appointment time, but not both.
- Always use a pick-up time to schedule your ride unless you must arrive at the destination not later
than a certain time, such as for work or a doctor's appointment.
- Let the call-taker know how much flexibility you have regarding your times.
When reserving rides to/from a specific appointment, be sure to:
- Allow for time you may need to get from the HIRTA vehicle to your destination inside the building.
- Set your return trip time so that you have sufficient time to finish your appointment and be ready to depart.
- Find out about building opening and closing times at your destination and plan your trip so you won't have to wait outside.
Changing or canceling your reservation
If you need to change your reservation, please call HIRTA as soon as possible. Changes to a reservation should be made before 3 p.m. the day before the ride.
If you need to cancel your reservation, please call HIRTA as soon as possible. By canceling well in advance, you help HIRTA provide quality service to other customers.
You may request a "subscription" reservation for a recurring trip that meets the following criteria:
- trip is taken at least once each week on the same day
- trip is between the same locations, and at the same time
- trip has been taken consistently over the previous 30-day period
- trip is expected to continue for at least six months
Many subscription trips are provided to sites that close on holidays and trips will be canceled automatically on the following: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. If your ride is needed on one of these holidays, please call HIRTA to reschedule.
Subscription reservations must be taken at least 90 percent of the time (cancellations and/or no-shows may not exceed 10 percent). Subscription reservations with excessive cancellations and/or no-shows will not be continued.
How HIRTA bus drivers may assist customers
HIRTA drivers may help you with:
- getting from your door or designated stop location to the HIRTA vehicle
- getting in and out of the vehicle (if you are unable to use the bus steps, you may stand on the bus lift platform to get on and off)
- fastening seat belts and securing mobility devices
- getting from the HIRTA vehicle to the entry door or the designated stop location at your destination
If requested, HIRTA drivers will assist you with manual mobility devices by:
- pushing and guiding you to/from the vehicle, on/off the lift platform of the vehicle, and inside the vehicle
- moving you and your device up or down a single step or a curb when it is possible to do so safely
For safety reasons, HIRTA operators are not permitted to operate the controls of any powered mobility device, handle a service animal or enter a private residence.